Why the GreenWay is a good idea
Created on 12 October 2011
The GreenWay Stakeholders all support the following key messages about the GreenWay and why the GreenWay shared pathway should be built at the same time as the light rail.
- Connects people places and communities;
- Is a project for Sydney: it benefits and connects people far beyond the inner west;
- Is a showcase of active transport;
- Is the missing link in the broader active transport network;
- Is a unique partnership between Councils, Community and State Government;
- Is international best practice for integrated sustainable transport;
- Will increase the patronage of the light rail by increasing pedestrian accessibility, safety and comfort;
- Breaks down barriers to active transport by providing a safe accessible link over and under the main roads including Parramatta Road, Old Canterbury Road and New Canterbury Road;
- Offer economies of scale when built at the same time as the light rail;
- Has overwhelming community support;
- Is a grassroots project embraced by Council;
- Is easy to build- some of it is already there!
These statements are supported by: Ashfield Council, Canterbury Council, Leichhardt Council, Marrickville Council, the Inner West Environment Group and the Friends of the GreenWay.